Sunday, March 10, 2013

Crusty Rustic Bread




























I think bread is heavenly. All kinds of bread. I love bread. Did I mention how much I love bread? So, because I love bread, I have begun trying to make my own. I've tried a number of recipes so far, and some have been great successes, and some... well, let's jus say, I'm learning. I found this recipe on Pinterest, and gave it a shot this weekend. Here is the link to the original post: Crusty Rustic Bread. This recipe was very, very, very easy. No kneading. No fuss. Just time, and lots of it. This bread needs to rise for 12-18 hours, so you need to mix it and set it to rise the night before you want to bake it. Here's the recipe:


3 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. 






Pour in warm water and stir mixture with a wooden spoon until a shaggy ball forms. 




Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 12 - 18 hours (on the counter at room temperature).





Heat oven to 450 degrees. Once oven has reached 450 degrees, place a cast iron pot covered with lid into preheated oven, heat pot for 30 minutes. Note, I don't have a cast iron pot, and some recipes I've seen have called for a Dutch oven - which I don't have either. What I do have and have used with decent success so far is a Rachael Ray casseroval dish with lid that is safe up to 500 degrees.

Meanwhile, turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface then shape dough into a ball. Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow to rest while pot is heating. 




Remove pot from oven and with floured hands, carefully drop dough into hot pot (you DON'T need to grease the pot) cover with lid, then immediately return pot to oven and bake 30 minutes (at 450 degrees). 





















After 30 minutes, remove lid from pot and bake uncovered for 15 minutes (my oven runs hot, so I turned the oven down to 400 degrees after about 10 minutes and cooked for about 20 minutes more, then turned down to 350 degree for another 10 minutes. Point is, check your bread and know your oven). Remove from oven and allow bread to cool on a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, bread stores well in an open paper bag (it helps the bread maintain it's crisp crust. I wouldn't recommend storing it in an airtight container or ziploc bag).




Recipe Source: adapted from Simply So Good, thank you for such an incredible post!


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe. There is nothing better with a good hearty soup than a great crusty bread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! This recipe is super easy, it just takes a while. Best to start the night before you want to cook it.

      Delete