Sunday, March 3, 2013

Navy Beans

Yesterday I tried my hand at some more homemade bread. So, I decided to keep it a bit more simple than I did last Sunday. Today I made a pot of navy beans and some delicious Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookies.


NAVY BEANS


Nothing earth shattering here, but they were quite tasty. This is how I made them, but unfortunately I don't usually measure my spices on my own recipes so I'm going to approximate as close as possible (always start with less because you can always add more).


Bag of navy beans
Bag of cubed ham (I use the 1 lb bag of Farmland)
About 1 Tbsp of parsley
About 1 Tbsp of seasonall salt
About 1-2 tsp of garlic powder
About 1.5 tsp of white pepper
One small onion diced
Salt and black pepper to taste

Rinse the beans off, drain the water. Rinse the cubed ham and place in pot. Add onion and spices. Cover with at least 5-6 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Lower temperature and simmer for a couple of hours until the broth is thicker and more soupy. Add a small cup of water periodically to ensure too much water doesn't evaporate. You can add the salt and pepper in the pot, or add the extra by the bowl. I tend to like things with more salt and pepper, so I try not to overdo it in the pot.



No comments:

Post a Comment