Sunday, March 17, 2013

French Breakfast Muffins


I'm always on the lookout for something new to try, and muffins to change up breakfast definitely sounds like a good idea to me. So, when I found this pin on Pinterest, I knew I was going to have to give it try. Here's the link to the original post: Velvet Lava Cafe French Breakfast Muffins. These muffins have a great texture and flavor, with just that hint of nutmeg, and when is butter, sugar and cinnamon EVER a bad combination??? I tried something a little different from how the recipe is listed, and although the end result is pretty decent, it makes one heck of a mess. lol I may eventually try them word-for-word as the directions list.

1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I use a heaping 1/4 tsp)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 egg (at room temperature)

Topping
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium-large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir just until combined, but still a bit lumpy. Scoop batter into muffin tin that has been sprayed with cooking spray (I used Baker's Joy). Bake for 20-25 minutes. Mix cinnamon and sugar in one bowl, and put melted butter in a second. Dip the warm muffins into the butter, then dip/roll the muffin in the sugar mixture. This is where I differed. I created a crumbly top with the butter, sugar and cinnamon, but let me tell you, it takes much more than 1/2 cup of sugar to get a crumbly mixture out of 1/2 cup melted butter. I kept adding sugar until I got the right consistency. Then I spread it around on the muffins BEFORE I cooked them. Not sure I recommend this path - as I said, it is very, very messy as the topping melts, but much of it does stick to the muffin. Play and decide what works best for you.









No comments:

Post a Comment