Sunday, March 24, 2013

Southern-style Cornbread


There is no better accompaniment to a steaming bowl of beans, then a perfectly cooked slice of cornbread. I know I'm quirky, but I don't put all the cornbread in my beans at one time. It makes the cornbread soggy, and that just grosses me out. I actually crumble small amounts at a time; eat it, then crumble some more. Doing it this way keeps the bread more bread-like and is much tastier to me. I know, I know... quirky. For years, I've been using Martha White cornmeal and the recipe on the back for Southern-style cornbread. It's a perfect consistency, and it always turns out right.

2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 1/3 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg




Turn on oven to 450 degrees. Add a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil to your cast iron skillet and set in oven to heat up. 




Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, and be sure to break up any clumps. Mix will be fairly runny at first, but thickens some as it stands. Once the oven and the skillet are hot, pour the cornmeal mix into the skillet. 




Bake for 20-25 minutes (my oven is so overhot, that I only cooked this batch for about 17 minutes). Cut up and eat how you like it!




2 comments:

  1. For the cornmeal: Self-rising or regular? You are thinking like a southern girl so I know the answer :) But remember the "others" lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually did intend to put that in the ingredients, but forgot. Keep me straight! :-)

      Delete