Sunday, March 24, 2013

Black Eyed Peas


There's just something about the smell of a pot of something - soup, stew, beans - cooking on the stove. Add to that a cold, rainy day, and the smell and warmth generated by a pot of warm goodness cooking is amazing. Today I decided to fix a pot of black eyed peas. Beans are an excellent source of protein and fiber; they are inexpensive; and they are very easy to make. No matter what type of beans I'm cooking, I normally bake up some cornbread to accompany them... I am after all a good Southern girl. :-) I keep my beans simple and straightforward.

1 bag of dried black eyed peas
1 med onion, diced
1 pack of bacon, cut up into small pieces
1 Tbsp Season all salt
1 1/2 tsp white pepper




First I rinse of the beans, and then drain that water off.




Then I add the bacon, onion, season all salt and white pepper. 




Fill the pot about half full of water. 




On high, bring the water to a boil, then reduced to med-low and simmer the beans for several hours until they are the firmness and consistency that you want. You will need to add water and possibly increase or reduce the heat as necessary to keep the beans at a simmer. Stir frequently to keep beans from sticking to the pot.




No comments:

Post a Comment