Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Tomato Basil Soup


There's nothing quite like the warm yumminess that is creamy tomato basil soup. I haven't always felt that way though. I didn't start liking tomato soup until I was 18 years old. Now, it's pretty much a staple soup in my house. I particularly like the V8 tomato soup, but I've been searching for one I can make myself, and I think I finally found it... on Pinterest, of course: Fire Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. I've tried this soup several times, and I kept making it too spicy. So, this round, I left the crushed red pepper out completely. Otherwise, this is a really simple, quite tasty soup. It doesn't make too much, but definitely enough for several bowls. If you decide to make this, please, please, please, make sure you have an immersion blender. I've burnt my hands, and made quite a mess in my kitchen because I've had to use my regular blender. Next time, I will be prepared!

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, chopped
3 (14 ounce) cans of hunt's fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian)
1/2 cup half and half
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper (if using)
20 fresh basil leaves, chopped (I used two tsps)
salt and pepper, to taste



In a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat, pour in the olive oil and saute onion until translucent. Add the chopped garlic (except for 1 clove) and sauté with the onion for 2 minutes.


Next, add the cans of fire roasted tomatoes (including the juice) to the pan and cover for about 15 minutes, stirring as needed.

Add the chicken stock and half and half and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered, for 10 minutes or until it has thickened.


Add the remaining chopped garlic clove, crushed red pepper if using it, basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. 


Lower your heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes more.


Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender in two batches to avoid splattering), puree soup until there are no large chunks of tomato left. 


Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.


No comments:

Post a Comment