Sunday, February 9, 2014

Meatloaf


Several years ago, I was having a conversation with my best friend, and I mentioned that I really wanted a good meatloaf recipe. She said she had one, and she quickly wrote down the ingredients and directions. I looked at what she had written, and I couldn't believe it could be that easy. When I tried it, I couldn't believe it was that easy AND tasted that good. Thank you, Romayne, for this wonderful recipe!

2 lbs ground beef
1 packet onion soup mix
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

3 Tbsp brown sugar
6 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp mustard


Mix the ground beef, onion soup mix, milk and egg together until combined.


Press the meat mixture into a loaf pan. I bought a meatloaf pan specifically for this purpose, and also bought one for my best friend to thank her for giving me this recipe! The pan has two layers - the normal shape loaf for the meatloaf, but there are holes in the bottom to drain out all of the fat that cooks off, and then there's an outer layer to, of course, catch the grease. They aren't terribly expensive, so if you prepare meatloaf, even occasionally, then this is a great investment for you.

Next, combine the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard in a bowl and stir until smooth. I actually used brown spicy mustard, because I had some open and I rarely use mustard and definitely didn't need two bottles in my fridge. It worked just as well for my taste.


Spoon the mixture on top of the meat mixture. Just to let you know, I was preparing this to cook the next night, so to keep the plastic from sticking, I stuck two toothpicks into the meatloaf - that's what they're doing in this picture.


Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Slice, and enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment