Saturday, May 17, 2014

Muffuletta-esk Sandwich


Despite my love of bread, I'm really not a big sandwich eater. I don't have anything against sandwiches, and the ones I do like, I really really like. I just don't eat them often. This little number is my own creation based on a sandwich I tried when I lived at Fort Polk, La. called a muffuletta. Please note, this is not a muffuletta though. I have not and will likely never be interested in an olive spread. Ever. And I fix my sandwiches very plainly. You may want to add some mustard or lettuce or other normal sandwich items to your version, but here's the basic form of it. I use a good sandwich roll, turkey, salami, and provolone. The key to these though begins with the bread! You must have a good bread for these. Kaiser rolls usually work good, but there are others that will work as well.

Bread rolls
2-4 slices of turkey
1-2 slices of salami
1-2 slices of provolone


This is a very simple sandwich - all you do is layer the parts. Cut the roll in half and place on baking sheet. Depending on the size of your bread, layer 2-4 slices of turkey, 1-2 slices of salami, and 1-2 slices of provolone. For the sandwich pictured, I used 2 slices of turkey and 1 each of salami and provolone.



Turn oven on broil and toast sandwich until top of roll is golden brown and provolone has melted to desired consistency. Watch it closely. You may need to pull the tops and let the cheese melt a bit longer. The goal is to warm the meat and slightly melt the cheese.



Add some chips and a fruit salad, and you have a wonderful and fairly healthy meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment