Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Brussels Sprout Gratin


I wish I could tell you that my daughter absolutely loved this recipe, but actually she didn't. My daughter would much prefer to have just a plain Brussels sprout pile on her plate. Which I like as well, but I'm always on the lookout for a new way to fix a vegetable I like. And even though she did not like this one, I, on the other hand, liked it very much. I think if I make it again I will add a little bit more cream mixture and cheese, but the flavor of this Guy Fieri recipe is fantastic. You can find the original recipe for Brussels Sprout Gratin on the Food Network website. This was the first time I've tried panko breadcrumbs, and WOW! You will be amazed and the flavor and crunch they have. Really good!

1 lb brussels sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
3/4 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp picked fresh thyme leaves
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 to 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Shave the brussels sprouts horizontally into 1/8-inch slices with a sharp knife or mandoline. Add to a bowl. Add the Cheddar, flour, thyme, garlic and some salt and pepper to the bowl. Toss to combine.

 
Add the mixture to an 8- by 8-inch baking dish, packing it in. Pour over the heavy cream.


In a small bowl, combine the panko, Parmesan and oil and pour over the Brussels sprout mixture.


Bake uncovered until the Brussels sprout are tender, the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with the parsley and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment