Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Cloud Biscuits


I almost feel like a traitor sharing this recipe. I grew up a Bisquick girl. That's what my mom used to make biscuits, and that's what my daughter has grown up eating. While looking through my recipe box a while back, I saw this recipe for cloud biscuits. I have to give credit where credit is due... this recipe came from my ninth grade home economics teacher Mrs. Caffo. I guess I liked them so much that I copied the recipe and put it in my box, and then apparently promptly forgot about it. I decided to try them out (again) last weekend when I made chicken and dumplings, and oh my gosh. They were so good! So here you go... a tribute to Mrs. Caffo's home economics class.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup shortening
4 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup milk


In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.


Combine milk and beaten egg.


Add milk and egg mixture to flour mixture.


Stir until dough follows fork around the bowl. Do not over mix. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, and knead about 20 strokes. The key to light fluffy biscuits is to handle the dough as little as possible.


Roll dough to 3/4 inch thickness, and cut out biscuits.


Place on ungreased sheet, and bake in 450 degree preheated oven for 10-14 minutes until golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment