Monday, May 19, 2014

Marinated Asparagus


I like quite a few more vegetables than I do fruit, but even so, I don't eat as much as I should. Oftentimes, my vegetables are simply steamed or boiled and plain, so I'm on the lookout for new vegetable recipes to try out. Asparagus is one of the vegetables that I really like. And this recipe is my own. I started fixing this as a fluke one night many years ago just to see how it would work. I'll give you some alternatives and tips throughout the dialogue, so here goes!

1/2-1 lb of asparagus
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup Dale Sauce
optional - garlic salt, garlic powder, any other seasoning you like


Start by washing off and then cutting about an inch off the ends of your asparagus. This allows the asparagus to absorb more of the marinade.


Melt butter in the microwave in 10 second intervals until it is melted, and mince the garlic. Add the garlic to the asparagus, then the butter and then the Dale Sauce.


If you do not have fresh garlic, then you can use about a tablespoon of garlic powder. You can also use other types of seasoning. When I made this batch, I also added a few dashes of a roasted garlic and herb seasoning I have just to up the flavor a notch. I will also occasionally use garlic salt if I will not be able to marinate the asparagus long. If you are marinating it more than two hours, then don't add anything that has salt. Dale Sauce is naturally salty, and the asparagus will get saltier as it marinates. I normally try to marinate it about an hour, sometimes a little longer. When you are ready to cook, add 1-3 Tbsps of butter to your skillet (depending on how large of a skillet you are using) and a bit of the marinade.


Cook the asparagus, occasionally turning, until it is fork tender. I know this picture looks silly, and you do not have to cook the asparagus in small batches. I had two very large pots on my stove, and I did not have room for a large skillet. The asparagus is done when a fork goes through it smoothly. You don't want to overcook it. It tastes much better when there is a bit of a crunch left to it. 


Sometimes I will serve the asparagus with bernaise or hollandaise sauce, but whether with a sauce or not, this asparagus is amazing!





No comments:

Post a Comment