Saturday, May 17, 2014

Amish Country Bread


I know I've mentioned this before, but I love bread. I mean really love bread. I think I could subsist off of a good bread. Until about a year ago, I thought bread was so hard to make, but it isn't! And since I got a 6-quart stand mixer for Christmas, it's gotten even easier. I've tried out a number of recipes, and I have more pinned to try out. This recipe for Amish Country Bread, which I found on Pinterest, of course, was really easy and only took a bit over an hour to make. It is goooood! And it makes two loaves, which is even better. If you want to try your hand at some homemade bread, then this is a good first-time recipe.


4 Tbsps sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 Tbsp of rapid rise yeast
2 Tbsps butter
1 Tbsp salt
5 cups flour


If you have rapid rise yeast, then combine all the ingredients and mix in a mixer or by hand until the dough is ready, but not less then 10 minutes.

If you have active yeast, then combine sugar, water and yeast in your mixer and allow yeast time to activate, usually 5-8 minutes. Add salt, flour and butter and mix for 10 minutes.


Sprinkle some flour in a bowl, put the dough in it and let it rise for half an hour.


Cut the dough in half, make two balls and put in a baking pan after sprinkling some flour in it. Make some nice small cuts on top (see image) and let sit for 10 minutes.


Brush an egg and sprinkle some salt and rosemary. 


Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment