Sunday, May 19, 2013

Spinach Pie


This is an absolutely amazing recipe. I mean really, how can it ever be wrong to combine cheese and bacon and spinach? It's reasonable if you're watching your calories (so long as you don't eat half of it in one sitting), and it reheats well for lunch leftovers. I got this recipe from my mom. It's one she's been making for more than 20 years. She clipped it out of a newspaper or magazine, and what I have it a copy of that, so unfortunately, I can't provide proper credit. I think it's probably a Philadelphia Cream Cheese recipe, but I'm not sure. I tweak mine just a little from the original, so I'll give you the straight recipe and then tell you what I did different.

1 9-inch pastry pie shell
1 pkg 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup milk (I use 2%)
1 pkg 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
1 cup (4 oz) shredded natural Swiss cheese 
3 eggs, beaten
6 crisply cooked bacon slices, crumbled (I used 8-9 slices)
2 tsp chopped onions (I used about a 1/4-1/3 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper


Prick bottom and sides of pie crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.

Combine cream cheese and milk in saucepan, and stir over low heat until smooth.


In large bowl, beat eggs. Gradually add cream cheese mixture to eggs, and mix well until blended. 


Add remaining ingredients, and mix well. 


Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until set. If your pie crust edge gets too well done too quickly, a trick you can use is to wrap the edge of the pie with aluminum foil for about 3/4 of the cook time. I left mine on for about 25-30 minutes before I removed it.


Divide the pie and enjoy!!!


The recipe calls for 8 servings, but frankly, that's just enough to tease you. I entered the recipe for the below calorie count for 6 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment