Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chicken Parmesan


I love chicken parmesan. I had never tried it until well into adulthood. As a matter of fact, I believe it was after my father passed away. I remembered that he had liked it, so I decided to order it in a restaurant, probably Olive Garden. It was so tasty that I decided to find a recipe so that I could make it on my own at home. I found one online, and have tweaked it beyond recognition to make it all mine. I've been told by several people that this is the best chicken parmesan they have had. Add a Caesar salad, and some amazing bread, and you have a wonderful meal for sharing with friends and family. In fact, this is a favorite meal for my friends Josh and Ashlie. They joined my daughter and I for dinner Saturday night, and this is what I fixed... as well as French baguettes and Garlic Cheese Pull Apart Bread (both of which will also be blogs). Here is how I make mine:

Chicken breasts (I use the Walmart bagged chicken.  Usually five smaller breasts work best. That's about 1 1/2 pounds of chicken. More than that and you won't have enough sauce for all of the breasts.)
Spaghetti sauce of your choice (I'm very fond of Bertolli's Tomato and Basil for this recipe)
Italian breadcrumbs
Milk and eggs
Season all salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder
Olive oil


First clean off your chicken. I cut off any fat scraps that are stuck to it and rinse off each piece. Beat with a mallet each piece to thin out. I wrapped mine in parchment paper to control spatter, and it worked great. Put a thin layer of olive oil in your skillet and put on med-high heat. Season each piece of chicken lightly on both sides with season all salt, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. One piece at a time, dredge chicken into egg mixture (I used three eggs and a splash of milk, less than a quarter of a cup), then cover completely on both sides with Italian seasoned bread crumbs. 


Fry chicken on both sides until the breadcrumbs turn a golden brown. 


After getting the chicken in the skillet to cook, pour about 1/5 to 1/4 of your spaghetti sauce into a foil-lined 9X13 pan. Be sure it is spread evenly. After chicken is cooked, spread pieces evenly in pan.


Preheat oven to 350-400 degrees. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce evenly over all pieces of chicken. Bake for about 15-20 mins.


Remove chicken from oven. Cover each piece liberally with shredded mozzarella. Cook until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment