Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Quiche Lorraine


I think quiche is one of the most amazing recipe ideas ever. How can you ever go wrong with a pastry pie shell, cheese, eggs, and bacon or some other type of meat. I've got another recipe for a "spinach pie," but we will save that one for another day. Today is for Quiche Lorraine. I found this recipe while searching Pinterest one night, and this was the second time I made it. Here's the link to the original blog post: Quiche Lorraine with Bacon. The first time was pretty tasty, but I decided to add onion and black pepper to it, and this time it was awesome! Next time I make it, I'm going to give myself enough time to make the pie crust from scratch. I think that will take this whole meal up another notch or two.

1/2 pound bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled (about 8 slices or so)
2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
2 Tbsp flour
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 small diced onion
dash cayenne
1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell


Toss the Swiss cheese and flour in a large bowl.


And here, I diverged from the original recipe greatly. To the Swiss cheese/flour, add the bacon, eggs, milk, salt, pepper, onion and cayenne. Mix well. Pour in pastry shell.



Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes, or until set. Here's a tip for you... I was having problems with the edges of my pie crusts getting too dark and overcooked before the pie is even set. If you take aluminum foil and wrap it over the edge of the crust and remove it about the 40 minute mark it will give you the nice golden color.










No comments:

Post a Comment