Monday, April 15, 2013

Baked Cauliflower


Some vegetables I like without any adornment... raw carrots, raw squash, raw cucumbers, boiled corn without butter or additional salt, perfectly steamed broccoli. Some vegetables, I probably won't be eating at all unless it's adorned very well. Peas... not going to happen. I cook with them in casseroles and such, but I'm not eating a spoonful. Cauliflower, I'm more apathetic about. I don't like it raw, but it has to be steamed just right for me to like it. This is an easy way to get in a good serving of cauliflower, and not really even acknowledge that you're eating it. It's a recipe my mother's been making for years, but all I have is a hand-written recipe, and of course I've tweaked it a little since I've been making it.

Head of cauliflower
butter (about 4 Tbsps or so)
Flour (about 3-4 Tbsps)
Milk
Italian-style breadcrumbs
salt and pepper


Cut off the green stalk and boil the cauliflower until fork tender. Pour out water, and let cauliflower cool. I use a colander.


Once cooled, break into bite-size pieces and place in casserole dish. I use an 8X8 glass dish. Start the sauce, which is really just a white gravy. In skillet, melt butter, and then whisk in flour to create a roux. 


Add a little milk and continue to whisk; add a little more and keep whisking. Adding a little at a time helps you keep the gravy smooth.


Bring it to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer. It will thicken as you stir it. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Pour sauce over cauliflower.


Sprinkle a thin layer of bread crumbs across top. Add a few evenly spaced very small pats of butter.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until top begins to brown.





No comments:

Post a Comment