Sunday, November 24, 2013

Focaccia


Mmmmmmmm bread... I couldn't imagine life without bread. But crazy enough, I really don't eat a lot of sandwiches. I like rolls and side breads rather than sandwiches. Enter focaccia. Made this lovely recipe with dinner the other night. OMG it was so good. I think I could have just eaten the bread and nothing else. I found this recipe on Pinterest: One Hour Skillet Focaccia. This recipe is quick and quite easy. If you are interested in trying your hand at some homemade bread, then this is a recipe you should try.


Bread
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp olive or canola oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

Topping
4 Tbsp butter, melted (3 Tbsp)
1.5 Tbsp parmesan (1 Tbsp)

1 tsp Italian seasoning (1/2 tsp)

Place water, sugar and yeast in bowl. Allow to rest until yeast proofs. This usually takes 5-10 minutes.



Add 1 cup of flour and salt and mix well.


Add oil (I use olive oil) and remaining flour slowly until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.


Heat oven to 220 degrees. When warmed up, turn it off and leave door closed.

Turn dough onto floured surface and turn several times until dough is smooth and not sticky anymore. Roll out dough to the size of your skillet.


Grease skillet, and place dough in it and stretch dough up the side.


Cover skillet with towel and place in warmed over for 20 minutes.



Remove skillet from the oven. Turn oven on to 400 degrees. Make indentions in dough using finger. Prepare topping while oven heats up. Melt butter in microwave in 10 or 15 second increments until melted. Let cool just a little and then add parmesan and seasoning. If you add the parmesan too quickly, it will melt and clump. I like my food a little bolder and a little spicier, so I increased the topping mixture. The number in parentheses above indicates original recipe amounts. Brush topping onto dough. If you want, you can also save some for when the bread comes out.


Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. With my crazy oven, I think it only took about 15 minutes. Serve, and trust me... ENJOY!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment