Saturday, November 30, 2013

Corn Casserole


I've found quite a few good looking recipes in the newspaper's Parade section from each Sunday. Some I've tried, and some I'm still waiting for the opportunity. This is one, Dynasty Corn Pudding, I tried for a dinner for my mom a year or two ago, and it was such a hit, that I've made it several times since. In fact, I prepped it the other night for Thanksgiving dinner! It's not a terribly difficult recipe, and has a very good texture and flavor - one hint though, use a bigger casserole dish. If you use too small of one, the top cooks too much but the insides aren't set. I use a 9X13 pan for mine and it works great!

4 oz (1 stick) unsalted, melted butter
3 cups corn kernels (they call for fresh from 4-5 ears of corn, but I just buy the frozen bag)
2 eggs
8 oz (1 cup) sour cream
9 oz Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (again, most cheese comes in 8 ounce packs, so I use that and add about an ounce of whatever I've got in the fridge.)
1/2 cup cornmeal
4 ounce can of chopped green chilies
1/2 tsp salt (and I also add some pepper)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or Parmigiano-Reggiano)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. The recipe calls for buttering your dish, but I just use Pam and it works. Also, they call for a 2-quart casserole dish, and as I mentioned above, I couldn't get mine to set right, so I use a 9X13 pan).

In a blender or food processor, puree 1 cup corn kernels, eggs and melted butter.


In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except Parmesan. Add pureed corn and mix well. 


Pour into dish and top with Parmesan. 


Bake for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden.





No comments:

Post a Comment