Sunday, March 24, 2019

Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies


There's not much that evokes memories of childhood and can make you salivate at the same time... but chocolate chip cookies fit the bill. I grew up making chocolate chip cookies with my daddy, and it's one of my fondest memories. I found a recipe several years ago that I tweaked a little that became my Triple Chocolate Cranberry Cookies - and I get a lot of compliments on that cookie. So, I decided to tweak it some more this past Christmas for my chocolate chip cookies that I make every holiday season, and I was hooked! They came out amazing. Dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, pecans, and a little espresso in intensify the chocolate, and oh my goodness!

1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking soda
2 tsps cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant espresso
9-10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
9-10 ounces dark chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (optional)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl mix the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt and espresso.


In a large bowl or a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar.


Add the eggs and vanilla; mix well.


Add the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips (and nuts if using them; I prefer pecans in chocolate chip cookies) and stir until evenly distributed. Here's the tip with the chocolate chips - you can use a whole bag of both semi-sweet and dark chocolate, and they are still pretty good. However, there just didn't seem to be enough "cookie" around the chips, so I cut it back to about 3/4 of each bag, and I loved it. Add to your taste.


Use a 1.5-inch cookie scoop to portion cookies on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.


I use my index and middle finger to very lightly flatten the tops of the cookies. That helps them bake more evenly and creates a flatter, less rounded top.


Bake cookies 8-10 minutes until just starting to brown at the edges. The tops will likely still look doughy (as shown below).  This is not a bad thing. This will give you beautifully soft pillowy chocolate chip cookies.


Remove cookies from the oven and allow to rest on the cookie sheet about 5 minutes until the cookies set (they will still be warm though). Remove to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy a warm, soft, pillowy, super melted chocolatey, amazingly delicious cookie! Store in an air-tight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment