Sunday, March 23, 2014

Cheese Dip


I love cheese... hot melted yummy cheese, but not so much cold cheese. I've never liked cubed cold cheese, and there's only one sandwich that I can eat cold cheese on - pastrami with provolone. But I digress... Cheese dip is a gift from god. I love all kinds of cheese dip... yellow, white, with meat, without. So, this is the recipe, sort of, that my dad made when I was growing up. I have altered it just a bit from his recipe, but not much. What makes this dip so amazing is not using can "Rotel" but instead using fresh diced onion, tomato and peppers. The flavor explosion you get with the fresh vegetables is incomparable. In the summer, when a wider variety of peppers are available, I will use several different ones, but in the winter months, I usually use just jalapeños because they are easier to get. When I make this just for me, it is not for the faint of heart. When making it for a large group, I will try to use less peppers and crushed peppers, but it will still have a little heat. So dial it up, or down, as suits your taste.

1 lb Mexican Velveeta
1/2 to 1 lb regular Velveeta
1-2 large tomatoes (0r 3-5 small or Roma tomatoes)
1 medium onion
2-4 peppers (jalapeño, Anaheim, cowhorn, cayenne)
Milk
Season all salt
Crushed pepper


Cube the Velveeta and place in a large pot or crock pot. Dice tomatoes, onion and peppers and place in pot. You can reduce the heat of the peppers a little by knocking out some of the seeds. This will preserve the flavor of the peppers and give you the amount of heat you want. 


Add a little milk to achieve the consistency you prefer - I usually use about 1/2-1 cup because I like my cheese dip a little thinner. Add about 1-2 tsp of season all salt and crushed peppers to taste. Warm slowly, stirring frequently until melted. 


Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment