Sunday, March 23, 2014

Brown Sugar Cookies


I love trying new cookies, and lately I've learned a lot about brown sugar and the role it plays in cookies, so when I saw this recipe for Brown Sugar Cookies on Pinterest, well, I decided I needed to give it a try. These cookies turned out so soft and sweet. I had several folks at work asking for seconds... and thirds and fourths. I doubled the recipe so that there would be enough for a lot of people (I do share these at work), and I actually chose to refrigerate my dough for an hour or so. I think that's why mine didn't flatten out as much as the originals, and the dough was a little dry to roll, but, otherwise, they were really, really good!

28 tbsp unsalted butter (3.5 sticks)
3.5 cups packed dark brown sugar
4.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 egg plus 2 egg yolks
3 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar


Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheet with parchment paper. 
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Allow to simmer until it starts to turn an amber color and smell nutty and fragrant. Remove from heat. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.


In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the browned butter and brown sugar until well-blended.


Add the eggs and egg yolks to the butter/sugar mixture one at a time, scraping down the sides after each addition. 


Mix in the vanilla. Mix the flour mix into the cookie dough, stirring until just combined.


In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Scoop the cookie dough into balls using a 1 1/2 Tbsp cookie scoop (or just scoop it into rounded Tbsps). Roll in the sugar mix and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough, leaving 2 inches between each dough ball on the baking sheet.


Bake for 10-12 minutes or until starting to set around the edges. Allow to cool before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment