Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Walnut Cinnamon Winter Cookies


I really like Danish (or Mexican) wedding cookies. The little pecan shortbread-type cookies covered in powdered sugar. So, when browsing Pinterest several weeks ago, I knew I was going to have to try this recipe I found for Walnut Cinnamon Winter Cookies. These are similar to the wedding cookies, but they use walnuts rather than pecans, and they are a little bit "nuttier" than the wedding cookies. Oh, and the cinnamon. It adds a really nice flavor to the cookies, but I think next time I may cut it back to 1 1/2 tsp just to see. I thought they were pretty awesome, and they went over well for Monday treat at work. I didn't have too many left when I got home.

1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour + 2 Tbsp
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups walnuts
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar




Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.


Beat in the egg and vanilla.


Sift in 2 cups of flour with the baking powder and salt.


Mix until just combined. In the bowl of a food processor, add the walnuts, cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons flour. 


Pulse until the walnuts are well chopped, be careful not to let them turn to a paste.


Add the walnut mixture to the cookie dough, stir to thoroughly combine.


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and drop the dough in tablespoons on it.


Bake for 8-10 minutes, allow to cool, and transfer to a cooling rack.


Pour the powdered sugar into a large zip-lock bag, toss in a few cookies at a time and carefully fully coat each one.


Remove from the bag and serve!


1 comment: