Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Broccoli and Rice Casserole


Some dishes we make are holiday dishes.  Meaning the only time of the year we make them are during the holidays or special occasions. That is what broccoli and rice casserole is for our family. It's not that we don't like it enough, it's just become the tradition to make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that seems to satisfy the urge for the next 11 months. I'm not sure where my mom got this recipe, but it's the one we've used since I was a little girl.

1 medium onion
3 Tbsp margarine
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1 lb Cheese whiz
3 cups cooked rice
10 ounces of chopped frozen broccoli (or two of the frozen blocks)


I always cook the broccoli and rice per the package directions before I begin the sauce. That gives them a chance to cool off a bit. In a medium size skillet, cook the butter and onions until they are softened and translucent.


Add the cream of chicken soup and milk and whisk until smooth.


Add Cheese whiz and whisk until smooth.



You can mix in the casserole dish, but I always seemed to have trouble because it was just too full to mix properly. I use a large bowl and combine the broccoli, rice and cheese mixture before I pour it into the casserole dish.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until casserole begins to brown around the edges.







No comments:

Post a Comment