Saturday, January 16, 2016

Squash Casserole


It took me years to get around to eating squash. I mean, literally, years. I was in my 30s before I tried it. I'm still a little limited in how I eat it. I either like it raw and sliced or this casserole. This casserole is so flavorful. I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you give it a try. I got this recipe from my mom, but I'm not really sure where she found it from all of those years ago.

2.5 to 3 lbs of squash (cubed)
1 large onion (diced)
1 stack saltine crackers (crushed)
3 Tbsps melted butter
1 egg
1 cup milk
add salt and pepper to taste
1 to 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (save 1/4 cup of cheese for later)



Cut squash and dice onion.


Cover with water and boil squash and onion with salt and pepper until squash is fork tender.


Drain water and mash squash until you reach the texture you prefer - I do not like large chunks of squash, so I mash mine quite a bit.


While squash and onion are cooking, gather remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Start with the crackers - a trick I've learned when you need to crush a whole pack of crackers is to push the crackers down to one end and then force them into a slant with your fingers. Then start crushing. Do this over the bowl you're using to catch any crumbs. When it feels crushed enough, then just open one end and pour the crumbs in the bowl.


 Add the egg, milk, melted butter and most of the cheese to the crackers.


When squash is cooked, drain water and mash squash and onion.


Combine with other ingredients and mix well.


Pour into a greased casserole dish, and bake at 400 degrees about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.


Sprinkle remaining cheese over hot casserole.


No comments:

Post a Comment