Sunday, December 28, 2014

Cranberry Relish



With my cranberry phase in full swing last month, I decided to offer to make the cranberry relish for Thanksgiving. I found several recipes, and decided to try this one I found for Cranberry Sauce on Pinterest with only a few minor tweaks. Even though I don't care for sweet meats or vegetables, which means there's no way in the world I'll put cranberry relish on my turkey, this sauce did taste quite delicious all on its own. The spices were very subtle, and the apple gave a nice contrast to the tangy cranberries.

2 12-ounce bags fresh cranberries
Zest and juice from two navel oranges
1 tart apple, peeled, cored and shredded
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp dry ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp dry cardamom
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds



In a medium sauce pan, bring all ingredients to a boil.



Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thick. Stir often.

Remove the cinnamon sticks from the mixture. Stir in pomegranate. Pour into a serving dish and refrigerate to chill, at least 4-6 hours.

1 comment: