Sunday, July 20, 2014

Lemon Pound Cake


I have fallen in love with lemon this year. I keep several lemons in my refrigerator at all times now. The smell of fresh lemon zest ranks among one of the best in the world to me. So when I saw this recipe for Lemon Pound Cake on Pinterest, I had to give it a try. I upped the ante on the recipe though by adding a sweet lemony glaze to the pound cake. It. is. so. good. I received so many compliments on this one at work (I took it in for one of my "Monday treats." My mom asked for one to take to a party and liked it so much that she has already asked me to make three for her for an event next month! The fresh lemon juice and the zest just add such a fresh citrus spark to this cake. You really should give it a try!

3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups sugar
1.5 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
5 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
6 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest

Glaze
1-2 cups powdered sugar
1-3 Tbsps lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract
1-2 tsp lemon zest

Frosting
1.5 cups unsalted butter
1.5 lbs powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp of lemon zest
3-6 Tbsp of lemon juice


Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray or butter and flour two loaf pans or one large Bundt pan. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, cream butter, shortening and sugar.


Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended after each one.


Add dry ingredients in three additions to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.


Mix in lemon juice and zest.


Pour batter into prepared pans.

 
Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely. Note, I've made this pound cake twice now, and both times, I've lost large chunks of my cake when I turned it out of the pan. Still working on that... BUT, add the glaze and you will not care!

To make the glaze, add the almond extract and enough lemon juice to your powdered sugar so that it is thick enough to drizzle, but not too runny. Add in lemon zest. Drizzle onto completely cooled cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment