Monday, January 18, 2021

Buckeyes and Snowballs


 I LOVE peanut butter baked goods and confections... peanut butter cookies, no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies, chocolate and peanut butter candy, and buckeyes/snowballs are among my favorites. I only make buckeyes and snowballs at Christmas though. I'm not sure why. As much as I like them, you think I would make them all throughout the year, but so far I haven't. The good news is that these are super easy to make, and it only requires a couple of ingredients. They come out so creamy and delicious. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I use bark - vanilla and chocolate - rather than regular chocolate to coat mine. And I love them... and I get tons of positive feedback. Give these a shot and add them to your special traditions. 

12 ounces (1.5 cups) creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound (4 cups) powdered sugar
16 ounces almond bark (I split between vanilla and chocolate)
couple tsps coconut oil
clear sparkling sugar crystals


Cream the butter, peanut butter, and vanilla together until completely combined.


Add powdered sugar and blend until it comes together and become smooth. It will take several minutes for this to happen. Don't give up and stop too early.


Using a small cookie scoop, portion the peanut butter onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (that will fit into your freezer). If you want them to look smoother when they're done, roll each ball in your hand to smooth them out.

Freeze peanut balls at least an hour. This year I actually made the confection and portioned them the night before I dipped them. They were so cold that they set really fast and remained easy to work with through out the dipping process.


Prepare the bark by adding 8 ounces plus a couple teaspoons to a deep bowl. Warm in the microwave in 30-second intervals until everything is melted. Blend well.

To dip the chocolate bark to make buckeyes, use a toothpick stabbed into the top. Dip the peanut ball into the bark just over half way. 


Tap it to allow the excess to drip off. Set on another parchment-line cookie sheet to dry and firm up.


To dip the chocolate to make snowballs, prepare the bark the same. I use a fork and knife to dip my snowballs. I drop the peanut ball into the bark and use the fork to turn it over. Scoop it out with the fork, and then tap a few times on the edge of the bowl. I scrape the bottom of the fork on the edge of the bowl, and then use a knife to scrape the snowball onto the parchment. It will set quickly if your peanut butter balls are very frozen, so top quickly with the sparkling sugar crystals.


Let the snowballs and buckeyes set until firm. With the buckeyes, use the tip of our finger to smooth over where the toothpick hole remains. 

Pack carefully in a container (I used parchment paper between the layers to keep them from sticking to each other). There's nothing in these that should go bad, but I find they will keep for weeks (even up to a month or longer) when I keep them in the refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment